Thursday, March 13, 2008

A reminder

I found a poem the other day that tore at my heart. This is such a reminder to take time to appreciate and invest in the blessings I have Today! The poem will speak for itself. Here it is.......


To My Grown Up Child

My hands were busy through the day
I didn't have much time to play
The little games you asked me to.
I didn't have much time for you
I'd wash your clothes, I'd sew and cook,
But when you'd bring your picture book,
And ask me please to share your fun
I'd say: "A little later, hon".
I'd tuck you in all safe at night
And hear your prayers, turn out the light,
Then tiptoe softly to the door...
I wish I'd stayed a minute more.
For life is short, the years rush past...
A little child grows up so fast.
No longer standing at your side
With precious secrets to confide.
The picture books are put away,
There are no longer games to play,
No goodnight kiss, no prayers to hear...
That all belongs to Yesteryear.
My hands, once busy, now are still
The days are long and hard to fill.
I wish I could go back and do
The little things you asked me to.
(Author Unknown)

I think as any parent watches their children grow and change so fast they wonder how it is slipping away and wish they'd spent just a little more time with their kids in the previous stages. I think I've been feeling that since Spencer was a baby! I've always mourned the passing of each little stage he grows out of while at the same time so enjoying the next one. Watching him grow is bittersweet! I miss 'tartar' and 'bagarge' and so many other words long gone. I miss playing Bob the Builder and 'Beast and That Girl'. I miss rocking my tiny baby and all those days gone by. I miss them but I didn't miss out on them. I'm taking my time and savoring all these 7 year old times we're having now but it breaks my heart a little to know how fast I'll be missing these days too!

No comments: