Friday, October 01, 2010

Unexpected treasure


In this whole going through things project going on around here, I found this.
It looked like one that hadn't been opened in quite some time, and was labeled in Doug's (Spencer's dad's) handwriting, so it must have been from quite a long long time ago.
I opened it to find this!


Yipee!  It is a box Doug labeled "KEEP IN CASE WE have another kid BOX".  This was such fun to go through!  There were treasures!  Some of my favorites!  Some homemade by my aunt baby things, some teeny tiny overalls that had been from Grandma Moon, some "grandpa shirts", my favorite cozy blue jams Spencer wore when he was just new and tiny, some Hawaiian clothes from Auntie Jamie, the baby food grinder, a crib blanket my mom made, the list goes on and on.
This was quite a surprise because just a couple of weeks before I found out I was pregnant this time I thought I'd gotten rid of the last of Spencer's baby stuff.  Each time I'd go through it over the years I would get rid of more, and now, ten years and a few pregnancy losses later I had parted with all but the very most sentimental favorites of mine. So this box was unexpected but oh so happy to come across!
I remember the night we made this box.  Spencer had just started to outgrow things, he couldn't have been more than a few months old and there weren't many things he'd outgrown yet.  We were amazed that he could be getting so big that some of his things didn't fit and we talked about what to do with them, decided on the 'in case we have another kid' box and started to fill it with just those few things.  Now, looking through these things it is as incomprehensible now that he ever was small enough to fit into any of it as it was shocking back then that he could be so big to have outgrown it. 
As I'm looking forward to having a baby of mine in my arms again I'm also so aware of how fast it will pass and how soon I'll be looking back amazed that he's not a tiny baby still.  Slow down time, just for a bit!

2 comments:

Mary Lynn Evans said...

That is SO awesome you found those things! I've gotten rid of all of Landon's (and the other kids') stuff now and I'm sure someday I will be sad. That's exciting to get to use those things again! :)

Jen said...

That would have been one of the best and most special suprises ever. I am so happy for you! :)